Friday, April 26, 2013

YUMMY!!

Okay everyone, I tried the crock pot lasagna.  It was a SUCCESS!!  I put success in caps because my husband not only ate it, but he took some leftovers to work for the next day.  For those that don't know my husband he is not a liar (even when it would be better for him to tell a little white lie, especially when it comes to my cooking) and is honest about whether or not he likes a new recipe I try.  Now I know some of you are thinking it is better for him to be truthful & I guess it is.  BUT I don't like to cook nor do I really know how to cook (I thought a clove of garlic was the whole big chunk of garlic you get at the store, not the smaller pieces you break off), so if/when I try it, it is usually because I'm excited about a new recipe.  Then when my hubby & son don't like it my hopes are dashed & it gives me one more reason why I don't cook.  Anyway, this recipe was SO easy & it only took me a few minutes to throw together.  (I had browned my hamburger the night before)  I panicked a little when I seen that it was only supposed to be on low for 4 hours!!  I work from 8-4:30 & I typically leave my house at around 7:15.  Then I read where she puts it on high while she is getting ready & then on warm the rest of the day.  I did it & it worked PERFECT!!  My only complaint was one layer of noodles tasted a little mushy, but it was only the one layer so I'm not sure what that was all about.  Anyway, I will definitely be making that meal again. 

So back to the recipe, I pinned it off Pinterest & it came from www.creatingthroughlife.blogspot.com
Here is the original recipe:
Crock-Pot Lasagna  

Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef
29 oz can tomato sauce
8 oz pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese

Directions

1. Spray the inside of the crock-pot with cooking spray
2. Brown the ground beef
3. Stir the tomato sauce in with the ground beef
4. Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crock-pot
5. Arrange 1/3 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce (I usually break them up so they fit better)
6. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Spoon 1/3 of the cheeses over the noodles.
7. Repeat these layers twice
8. Top with remaining sauce
9. Cover and cook on low for 4hrs (I've started the crock-pot on high in the morning before I leave for work and then put it on warm when I leave and it's perfect when I get home)
10. Let the lasagna stand in the crock-pot with the lid off for at least 10 minutes

* Variations *
1. Add chopped onion and garlic to the ground beef in step 2
2. Use Italian sausage in place of ground beef or with ground beef
3. Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese to the cheese mixture. Replace cottage cheese with Ricotta.
4. Add 1/2 cup additional shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of lasagna 5 minutes before serving 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment